Guernsey Financial Services Commission (GFSC)

Safeguarding good regulatory outcomes through integrity, impartiality and outstanding professionalism


Ensuring good regulatory outcomes through integrity, impartiality and outstanding professionalism
The Guernsey Financial Services Commission is the regulator of the financial industry in Billywick, Guernsey. We strive to achieve good regulatory outcomes through integrity, proportionality and exceptional expertise.
GFSC is an independent public body that manages licensed licensee-funded fee-based operations. We are responsible for the establishment of the Baileywick financial services industry and regulatory regime for Guernsey.
The Commission oversees and manages over 2000 licensees from the banking, trust, insurance and investment sectors. We follow standards set by international bodies such as the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, the International Association of Insurance Supervisors, the International Organization of Securities Commissions and the Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering

Regulatory Inquiries

Regulated Financial Services Business:
Unregulated Financial Services Business:


How to complain:
5 Tips:
If you have a complaint about a regulated financial service provider, first report it to the business.
Attach as much information and evidence as possible to support the complaint.
If you are still dissatisfied, please notify the Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman Commission, which is able to adjudicate complaints about the conduct or omission of certain types of financial service providers that occurred on or after 2 July 2013.
Alternatively, you may consider contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau, mediation services or contacting a Guernsey defence lawyer.
You may also consider notifying the Commission, but it can only deal with whether the licensee
Complaints can be made in the following cases:
If you are not entirely satisfied with the conduct or services provided by a regulated financial services business operating in Bailiwick, you may first write to the business to explain the situation. Financial services businesses are generally handled in accordance with an internal complaints policy.
How to complain?
It is recommended that you file your complaint in writing to ensure that records of your communications with the financial services business are maintained. When making a complaint, make sure you provide as much information as possible, including copies of any documents, as evidence of the source of your complaint with the financial services provider.
What if I am not satisfied with the result?
If after following the steps above you are still dissatisfied with the conduct or omission of the financial services business, you may decide to refer it to the Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman:
Who else can I contact?
If you have made a complaint against a financial services provider that has not been resolved, and your complaint goes beyond the Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman, you may consider contacting your local mediation team at
Alternatively, as a last resort, take your complaint to court. For legal advice, you can contact a solicitor (lawyer) practising in Billywick, Guernsey. Guernsey Bar provides a current list of defense attorneys at
Should the committee also be contacted?
As the Financial Services Supervisor for the designated area, the Commission is able to investigate complaints, but only on matters that raise concerns to the Commission as the authorised and supervisory authority. The Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman or the courts can adjudicate or decide whether you should be compensated by the business to which your complaint relates.
If you bring your complaint to the Commission, please ensure that you provide as much information as possible, including copies of all relevant correspondence with financial service providers. This will allow us to understand your complaint. All complaints should be made in writing, either by letter or via the Contact Us link in the upper right corner of this page, which you can send to us via the principal's email.
What can the committee do?
Baileywick has some financial services operations that are not licensed by the Commission. These are called non-regulated financial services businesses (NRFSBs). If you file a complaint with the NRFSB and are not satisfied with the outcome, the Commission cannot investigate further. However, if your complaint relates to a loan from the NRFSB, the Channel Island Financial Ombudsman may consider taking your complaint into consideration.
The Commission will investigate instances where the financial services industry is not doing good business, or has violated the regulations in which it operates, to verify that the entity is acting in accordance with the relevant laws. It is worth noting, however, that the Commission is not an ombudsman. Therefore, under the relevant laws, regulated businesses cannot be compelled to provide compensation or redress to complainants.

Contact information

Address: P.O. Box 128, Glaegny Court, Glaegny Esplanade, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 3HQ
Tel: 44 1481 712706
Fax: 44 1481 712010
Email: [email protected];
[email protected]

Relevant Navigation

No comments

No comments...